Monday, July 30, 2012

In the Throne Room

With open hearts, Jesus is glorified in worship, even if there is a language barrier. I have never seen this concept more beautifully proven than at church here in Cali yesterday. We attended church in downtown Cali at the church that planted the Mountain Church where we are working. The members of the Mountain church traveled into the city to worship with us, and the church members in the city welcomed us with open arms and hearts for Christ.



What moved me the most, I think, was the genuineness of the worship. I understood very few of the song lyrics or the spoken words, but both spoke to my heart in a way I have rarely experienced. The worship team consisted of three youngsters, one brother and two sisters, and elderly gentlemen on bongos.  They got lost a couple of times, and played some wrong notes here and there, but that was completely irrelevant.  They lead from their hearts and the congregation did as well.  The people responded as the spirit moved. If I ever wonder in the future what true worship looks like, all I will need to do is remember Cali and I will have my answer.



Ever song was preceded with scripture reading, and every song was a response to the Word. The pastor preached with passion and fervor for Jesus and His people. There was no doubt that these believers live and breathe the Word of God and it guides their every step. I was moved to tears as I realized how very rich these folks are, regardless of the poverty in which they live. They genuinely find their joy and strength in the Lord, and love simply pours out of them.



Today, we are back on the mountain working on the wall, but something has changed. We are now working with teammates and for folks with whom we have worshipped and shared communion. Although we were connected before, as believers, we are now believers who have worshipped together. We have been to the throne room together, and have been changed by the experience.



Today, we pour concrete and bend metal and move rocks, but what we are really doing is becoming the Body of Christ for this time and place. He is so present He may as well be holding a shovel.  I know He is pleased with what has happened, and I believe He will change each of us profoundly because of it.



As I write this we are taking an hour break from the truly backbreaking work. In the background I hear the sound of the waterfall at the bottom of the Mountain, and the sound of children playing in the woods. I hear the amazing ladies who have cooked for us cleaning in the outside kitchen where they cooked our meals. I smell the lemons on the lemon tree right below this balcony where I sit and I hear the birds singing in the banana tress. The view from here is beyond description and I am beginning to wonder how I will live away from this amazing place. My soul simply feels full here.



But, I know in my heart that it is the presence of God I cannot live without. This place has awakened that presence in my heart, and has filled me up. I realize God's presence is not unique to this place,  but I am unique while I am here. I know I am changed and pray for the strength and stamina to continue listening to His voice when we return home.

Me with Lucy and Clemente in the kitchen

Debbie, Jessica and Paula making a steel tower  for concrete.

Jeff, Bob and Tony contemplating...