Sunday, August 7, 2016

What If We Could Stop Time?

As I write this, I am sitting in a hotel room in New Orleans, feeling compelled to share how amazing God's timing is, if we are willing to believe His is better than ours. By nature, I am in a hurry and I approach most things with a sense of urgency that is not always necessary. I tend to think getting more done, and getting it done quickly, means I am successful and fulfilled. At this point in my life, after some rather dramatic life changes, and certainly after blowing past the age of 50, I am rethinking that perspective.

Yesterday, I spent the day with two amazing women here in the Big Easy. These women also tend to move quickly and decisively. But, alas, we ate a leisurely brunch and spent 4 hours discussing, not doing, and it was one of the most fulfilling days I've had in awhile. I listened to an old friend, really listened, and deepened a friendship with someone I hadn't seen in 10 years. We "did" nothing but talk, listen, learn and plan. And, maybe, just maybe, we allowed God to speak to us in the quiet space we created.

The last 5 years of my life have been interesting, to say the least. Lots of change, lots of stress, lots of introspection. Some days have been joyful, some stressful, and some downright painful. But, I suspect, everyone on the planet can say the same at various times in their lives. I think what matters is what we do with all of that once we come out the backside of a "life" storm. For me, having now come out the backside, yesterday was a reminder that now, at this point, I should be still, quiet, open and brave.

So what compels us to move instead of sit, to talk instead of listen? Why must we measure the success of the day with tasks completed? At what point do we start measuring the success of a conversation or the validity of an idea that could have impact on others, and their ability to converse and listen? Would that make a difference? I mean, would really listening to others, connecting heart to heart, eye to eye, enrich our lives and theirs?

I suspect the answer is a clear "yes" for most people, but I also suspect that the pace of our lives, and our society, makes us believe that "doing" is more important than stillness and conversation. I, however, am feeling very compelled to be deliberate in an effort to shift, at least slightly, down a gear - to listen more, to talk less, to truly see others where they are and seek information about what they need. I hope to measure my future days based on these metrics instead of those that have guided me for many years. I pray that God will continue to show me more of the value of His daily timing, not just His chronological timing. I want to stop time, or at least stop caring about it, as Jesus did. I want to take the time to connect as He did when on this earth, and as He wants to now.

The picture you see here was taken by a very special guy, last week on Lake Murray, in Lexington, SC. What you see behind me is a killer thunderstorm that did drop serious rain on parts of the area. What you also see are several beautiful breaks in the storm that allowed light to create a breathtaking shimmer on the water, even as the waters churned.

I believe we are to be that light for others in the midst of their storms, through genuine connection and conversation. I  believe that heart to heart, and eye to eye, we can "stop time" and embrace God's pace in an effort to truly connect. I pray I can practice what I am preaching here, and do that in my life. I pray the same for you.