Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I counted to 60

Today I took over a colleague's job after she left the College for greener pastures elsewhere. I got to keep my old job too, making it twice the fun! And twice the stress.

I stumbled in the house around 7:45pm tonight, after my first full day with both titles. I was feeling grouchy, grumpy and slightly out of sorts, which did not go un-noticed by my youngest son, Luke. He is empathic always, telepathic on most days, and down right insightful on others. Tonight he noticed that jolly Mommy did not come home -  she apparently stayed in Newberry. Thus, he began implementing his various strategies to chill me out.

At first I resisted. I knew I had at least 2 more hours of email to handle, and he had at least 2 hours of school work to do, and then there was dinner, and the laundry and the ... Well you know the mantra. 

He is quite persistent, however, and finally around 10:30pm he came over to my chair, kneeled down beside me (he is over 6 feet tall so this was necessary) and lifted my chin so I had to look at him not my laptop .... then declared that I needed a hug.

He was right. He was genuine.... And I didn't want him to let go!

So I counted to 60. I prayed that he would continue the hug all the way to 60, and he did. For the first time in about 48 hours I relaxed and breathed deeply, and all it took was 60 seconds of someone caring enough to save me from myself!

Who gets your 60 seconds today? Someone needs it, I promise! Make the hug last!