Sunday, October 13, 2013

October Birthdays

October has always been a special month in my family because of the birthdays. It all started with Mama, the Scorpio, who at times lived up to that moniker. Her birthday was always about more than just her birthday - it was about making sure others were aware that it was her birthday. October 23rd marked the day of her arrival on this planet, and it marked the anniversary of that day for 66 years; but, I am not sure if Daddy ever remembered it on his own. It became a contest to see if he would remember, and how long she would make him suffer if he did not. I, however, NEVER forgot... for obvious reasons.

Her last birthday was spent in a hospital...... Her last year was spent in pain. Dad remembered it that year, and every year after she died.

My sisters-in-law, Mary Kay and Laura both have October birthdays. Mary's is the 13th and Laura's the 15th. I have been celebrating these milestones with them since I was eight (8)  years old. (They were quite young when they decided to fall in love with my two (2)  brothers, Tony and Mike.)  They have always been sisters, not in-laws, and it is with joy that I wish them Happy Birthday again this year.

These three women taught me how to be a woman. They taught me how to be a wife, how to be a mother and how to face the mirror as time marches on, with grace and style. Happy birthday, ladies. I will love you always! Jane